Marriage sites design ways to beat dating apps

BENGALERU : Matrimonial platforms such as Matrimony.com Ltd, People Group’s Shaadi.com and Info Edge unit Jeevansathi.com are adding chat features, video chats and expanding into new markets to diversify and attract a Indian young population amid a covid induced surge in online dating.

While dating platforms have been around in India for at least seven years, covid has accelerated the habits of young people using dating apps to find partners.

you might also like

Jio will focus on 5G businesses, not just consumers

Zee to Shut Down Channel to Allay CCI Concerns Over Sony Deal

How tokenization will change your online purchase

Marriage sites design ways to beat dating apps

Currently, approximately India’s 800 crore online matchmaking market, matrimonial websites hold a dominant share of about 70% with the remaining 30% owned by dating platforms, which however has doubled since March 2021, said Able Joseph, founder and Managing Director, Aisle, a dating platform operated by Aisle Network Pvt. Ltd, in which Jeevansathi’s parent company, Info Edge, took a 79.22% stake earlier this year.

Aisle, which bills itself as the third largest dating app in India behind Tinder and Bumble, has gained popularity for its four vernacular apps launched for South Indian users. Some of the other active dating apps — Tinder, Bumble, TrulyMadly and Happn — declined to comment. The three mainstream dating platforms, however, do not see rising popularity as a major threat.

“We don’t see dating sites as serious competition. It (the space) has a limited audience and targets different age groups. And they have been in the market for about a decade, but none of them have even surpassed the growth of a million dollars… Marriage platforms allow users to have more serious relationships that lead to marriage said Murugavel Janakiraman, President and CEO of Matrimony.com.

The company, which rebounded to double-digit growth after a weak performance during covid, is launching new verticals including vernacular marriage, Muslim marriage and rainbow love for the LGBTQ community. It also sets up regional and profession-specific segments such as RajasthaniMatrimony, BihariMatrimony, DoctorsMatrimony, and IIMIITMatrimony.com, among others.

“We are launching these new initiatives to accelerate our growth. We have also expanded to geographies within and beyond India to Bangladesh and if not for the current crisis, we were also planning to expand to Sri Lanka,” he said. -he declares.

Shaadi.com is also introducing video and chat features after testing it for a year.

“When we study India, marriage is not entirely a love or arranged marriage. But this generation is doing a planned marriage and that’s compelling for our business,” said Shaadi.com founder Anupam Mittal, in a recent interview.

Similarly, Jeevansathi, which runs four distinct vernacular apps, is exploring text chat and audio-video calling features on its platform with greater privacy controls.

Elsewhere mint

In Opinion, Manu Joseph recounts why intellectuals are wrong on the rise of the right in Europe. Ankita Thakur says location data can boost business in Tier II and Tier III cities. Andy Mukherjee says India’s internet policy should not develop a Chinese character. Long Story explores the possibility of a november without smog This year.

Catch all the company news and updates on Live Mint. Download the Mint News app to get daily market updates and live trade news.

More less

About Jimmie P. Ricks

Check Also

Why online dating apps are a big scam

h Online dating might sound like fun, but there’s no guarantee of real love (Photo: …