Sadio Mane continues his search for a second Bundesliga goal with Bayern Munich in Bochum on Sunday (kick-off: 5.30pm CEST).
>> Click here for the Bochum-Bayern LIVE blog!
Bochum lost 7-1 in Munich last season but turned the tide at home, recording a stunning 4-2 win. It was one of many memorable moments in a fine debut campaign in the Bundesliga for Thomas Reis’ side, who finished 13th in the final standings – nine points clear of the relegation zone. VfL are however without a win for two games in the new Bundesliga campaign, following defeats to Mainz and Hoffenheim. Reis can rightly point to a long list of absentees that includes defenders Danilo Soares and Kostas Stafylidis, and prompted a switch to a full back three last time out. Striker Gerrit Holtmann also missed the shot and remains a major doubt.
Despite sharing a unique friendship with fans dating back to the 1970s, Bayern won’t be easy on their hosts. The record-breaking champions are off to a strong start in 2022/23, following their DFL Supercup win over RB Leipzig with 6-1 and 2-0 victories over Eintracht Frankfurt and Wolfsburg respectively. Mane scored in his first two competitive outings for the club and had two more ruled out for offside last weekend. With top scorer Jamal Musiala, Thomas Müller and Serge Gnabry, the Senegalese star makes post-Robert Lewandowski Bayern purr. So much so that Julian Nagelsmann is set to name an unchanged starting lineup for the fourth game in a row.
Look: Sadio Mane and Bayern Munich will roll in 2022/23
- Simon Zoller scored two goals after two rounds of matches. He scored two goals and as many assists after three last season.
- Bochum’s 4-2 win over Bayern in last season’s second leg was their first against the record Bundesliga champions since February 14, 2004. It was also the first time Bayern scored four goals in the first half. -time since 1975/76.
- A league-high four of the five goals Bochum have conceded this Bundesliga season have been headers.
- Mane scored two goals, disallowed two and hit the woodwork with his six shots on goal as a Bundesliga player.
- Müller joined Gerd Müller, Klaus Augenthaler and Mehmet Scholl in Bayern’s record books as the fourth player to score in 14 different Bundesliga seasons.
- Just like last season, Bayern and Dortmund are the only two teams with maximum points after two games.
Bohum: Riemann – Gamboa, Ordets, Heintz – Osei-Tutu, Losilla (c), Stöger, Janko – Asano – Zoller, Hofmann
Out: Soares (hip)
Doubtful: Antwi-Adjei (muscular), Goralski (eye), Horn (thigh), Holtmann (knee), Osterhage (muscular), Stafylidis (muscular)
Coach: Thomas Reis
Bavaria: Neuer (c) – Pavard, Upamecano, Hernandez, Davies – Kimmich, Sabitzer – Gnabry, Müller, Musiala – Mane
Out: Choupo-Moting (groin), Goretzka (knee)
Coach: Julien Nagelsmann